Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will anyone be buying winter tires for their car or are you going to leave the stock tires on all winter?

Anyone with lots of snow/icy roads heavily considering different ties?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm planning on leaving my stock wheels on for now. So far after a few icy mornings all has been okay. A few minor rear end kick outs on corners but I think I missed shifted and the RPMs went high, oops :)

If I have any bad run ins I'll be online and ordering tires ASAP though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm planning on leaving my stock wheels on for now. So far after a few icy mornings all has been okay. A few minor rear end kick outs on corners but I think I missed shifted and the RPMs went high, oops :)

If I have any bad run ins I'll be online and ordering tires ASAP though!
I'm in the same situation. Winter tires may be an option real soon.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wish I could afford not to go with out them but your dumb not too around here. Winters can be long and cold with lots of ice and snow. Safer just to get a pair of blizzaks, they are a lot cheaper than getting into an accident!

·
Registered
25 Posts
On Long Island we've not had terrible winters lately. I'm hoping to live without winter tires. Last car had AWD and I think I'm really going to miss that!!! However, any suggestions if I have to change out? I've seen a lot of posts on the Tire Pressure Monitors. Is there any special consideration regarding the sensors when you swap out tires? Also, I presume you use the same rims - Is there any problem mounting and demounting tires - stretching, etc.?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Usually what I do for winter tires on prevoius cars is have two sets of tires/rims. I will keep my stock rims and tires for spring/summer/fall driving and then winter comes I will have a set of winter tires mounted on black steel wheels. That way I can just change them out in my garage one night in case a random snow storm hits.

As long as you have the garage space it seems like the way to go. It also saves you time and money because you don't have to go to the tire shop, wait to get an appointment around first snow fall (which can take a week) and then pay to mount them on your stock rims 2 times a year.

I'm not sure if the Tire pressure monitor will cause a big concern but I can't answer for certain.

·
Registered
165 Posts
With a sedan and a family in the car, safety is going to be my number one priority. Winter tires will be a must for the winter months.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I currently have Dunlop Winter Sport 3d's on my Genesis and they stick like glue to snow and ice. No traction issues at all so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have never used studded, only normal winter tires (nonstudded).

How do you like the Dunlop Winter Sports Alan? What kind of price did you get them for? I have been interested in winter tires and Tire Rack seems to rate those tires very high for winter performance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will anyone be buying winter tires for their car or are you going to leave the stock tires on all winter?

Anyone with lots of snow/icy roads heavily considering different ties?
Hi,

I live near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and one needs snow tires during the winter months.

I purchased four (4) P235/50R18 (101V) Hankook W300 Icebear winter tires along with four (4) Macpack winter rims for my 2009 Genesis V6 3.8L sedan at Frisby Tire Co. in Kanata, Ontario, Canada.

It was no bargin that is for sure... $253.08 per tire and $165.00 per rim.

Adding all the additional charges and taxes it came to a grand total of $1983.91 (those 18" tires & rims are expensive - that's my sad story)
The new wheels were installed on 05 November 2009.

My 2009 Genesis V6 sedan was purchased in Canada and there is "NO Tire Pressure Monitoring System on any of the original wheels.
So...when I installed my new rims and winter tires there was no need to have some TPMS installed.

Anyone has any experience with the Hankook W300 Icebear winter tires? If you do, I would be interested to know what you think about their performance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got Bridgestone Blizzaks from Tirerack.com

The recent 12" snow storm in NYC area convinced me winter performance tires are necessary. tirerack.com seems to be an excellent resource. I got four 235/50R-18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 XL tires plus new wheels, all mounted with TPMS and shipped for about $1,600. I'm not happy about spending so much, but safety-wise, I think its necessary. On other forums I've heard good things about the LM-25 tire, which preceded the LM-60s and Tire Rack's price is significantly less than other advertised prices I saw. I refuse to put basic steel wheels on my 4.6. Tire Rack has some really nice wheels from $99 to $400 per and the website shows you what your car will look like with each wheel. They will recommend and ship the tires to an installer near you. Only problem now is - where to store 4 tires???

·
Registered
12 Posts
The factory all season radials treated me wheel throughout the winter. Since winter is over I see no need to upgrade at this point - lots of tread remains.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Speaking of tread I have been fairly impressed by the little amount of wear I have so far, hope it keeps up for the full life of the tires.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts