Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people just take their tire pressure for granted. They don't realize it plays a big role on how their car handles as well as their gas mileage. Lowering your tire pressure increase grip but also decreases gas mileage. While increasing your tire pressure reduces grip but improves gas mileage. Just wondering what you guys use for tire pressure on your daily drivers? Personally I run 38 for my fronts and 42 for my rears on my rwd car. I found that I get pretty good gas mileage and also decent grip with that setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I follow what is stamped on the side of my radials. Have not paid much attention to a difference in tire pressure vs mileage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually, what is on the sidewalls is the maximum pressure allowed for the tire. The (car) manufacturer's recommended pressure should be on a sticker on the door jamb or the back of the door itself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pardon me while I run out to the garage and check this. Thanks for the tip Micro! I knew I was really not wasting my time hanging out on forums... Now I can prove this is not just recreational to my wife its educational too!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pardon me while I run out to the garage and check this. Thanks for the tip Micro! I knew I was really not wasting my time hanging out on forums... Now I can prove this is not just recreational to my wife its educational too!
aint that the reason why a lot of people hang out on forums. ;) for its "educational" purpose.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have learned alot so far, forums are no longer just my escape from my mundane work day... that and the company blocked all my other favorite time wasters. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tire pressure affects stability as well. My new Genesis had a tendency to 'wander' on the highway. I checked tire pressure and it varied up to 3PSI. I set them all to 35 PSI and directional stability improved greatly.

When radials first came out, I drove a Porsche with bias-ply tires on the back and radials on the front and it was impossible to drive it in a straight line. I switched the radials to the back and it solved the problem. I concluded that more side to side movement on the back and less on the front was conducive to directional stability.

So now I run with 35PSI on the front and 33PSI on the back with very good stability. I have found this works on other cars, also.

Can any of you scientific guys explain or refute that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone losing tire pressure?

I just purchased a new 2013 Genesis sedan the end of February. My tires looked low and I discovered 3 tires were 28 lbs and one was 30. I added air to 33 lbs on each tire and within a month and a half I had lost 3 lbs on each of the 3 tires and just a little on the 4th one. I've never had this happen on any of the previous cars I have owned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tire pressure guessing

Ever since I started driving (about 65 years ago) I have heard people talking about their ideas on what a given cars tire pressure should be maintained at.
Come on guys, (ladies?) do you really think you can out guess what the automobile manufacturer recommends? It doesn't make any difference what brand car we are talking about.
Think about all the decisions they have to make based on the weight and various dimensions of the car they are building. They have to decide what size wheels and tires to put on the darn thing. Even if they are doing some educated guessing on any of these factors I think I am going to stick with their guesses. The sticker they put on the door pillar is the best guess you are going to find. Even if they change their mind after they build the car they can always do a "recall" to change the sticker.

I "guess" if you replace the tires and or wheels with sizes different then the originals then your "guess" is as good as any one else's.

Now that I have had my little rant, has any one noticed on their Genesis whether the computer tire pressures on the dash display match the pressures you get when you check them manually with a good gauge?
Mine don't seem to match, they are pretty close, but not the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts