Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of Navigational system is on the Genesis. Does it compare to some of the Garmin and other GPS systems out there. Can you do any updates on the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is hard to say which is the best. I have a budget Magellan, a high end Garmin and the Tech package Genesis. The main thing the aftermarket GPS units have is little features embedded in the processor like trip computers and display options not ordinarily in factory units. I like the Garmin I have on my motorcycle because the trip computer function gives me actual speed and electrical system output (motorcycles have notoriously inaccurate speedos and weak charging systems). There have been a lot of complaints about the LG unit in the Genesis but after having a GM factory unit in my last car(horrible screen and inability to find places), the Genesis unit is stellar and the best thing is it is built in. The user interface and on screen graphics are pretty good on this factory unit. I seems to me that the Hyundai unit is close to as good as the Nissan Infiniti unit that everyone seems to rave about which is made by Pioneer I think. The updates for the factory units are all about $200 which when done yearly is like buying a new aftermarket GPS every year. Garmin, Magellan and Tom Tom offer update programs that are far less expensive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am sure the factory GPS updates will be available for the Genesis cheaper online. You can always find them on forums especially.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the update comes in the form that is only able to be done at the dealer then it will be hard to find it on Ebay or the other internet venues. The GM updates come in the form of a DVD that you can purchase for $200.00 directly from GM. If you check the internet GM blogs you can find copies of the disc done with the various DVD cloning software for substantially less. I was able to update the GPS in my old Denali for $25.00 but the system was DVD based not hard drive based. Truth be, the GM update was not worth the money I paid, even the $25.00. Since the Genesis system is hard drive based at least in the Tech package, it may be considerably more involved to upgrade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the update comes in the form that is only able to be done at the dealer then it will be hard to find it on Ebay or the other internet venues. The GM updates come in the form of a DVD that you can purchase for $200.00 directly from GM. If you check the internet GM blogs you can find copies of the disc done with the various DVD cloning software for substantially less. I was able to update the GPS in my old Denali for $25.00 but the system was DVD based not hard drive based. Truth be, the GM update was not worth the money I paid, even the $25.00. Since the Genesis system is hard drive based at least in the Tech package, it may be considerably more involved to upgrade.

This is good information, not that I like to advocate piracy but sometimes two lefts can make a right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So it uses a hard drive to store the data? That is fantastic although it does eliminate the cheap update factor. Either way I am sure most of us who can afford this car will be able to afford updates for the GPS. I would hope so anyways!

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to Hyundai, they contract with Mapnsoft to provide GPS software. Mapnsoft claims they provide updates once a year in the Fall, but I bought a new 2012 Genesis in June and the map was over a year old, with no update available. As of October 2012, an update is available for $199, but only thru your Hyundai dealer.

I hope this update includes the logic to locate destinations, as my unit has sent me on some funky routes and has once take me to the wrong place.

I get free quarterly updates on my 7 year old Garmin, and just download it over the Internet. The only times it has taken me to the wrong place is when I entered the wrong place! IMHO Mapnsoft has a long way to go to catch up with Garmin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wondering I will be entering about 10 destinations for an upcoming trip, is it best to keep my 2014 Genesis running or not while doing these entries
Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts