Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of MPG is everyone getting? Are you noticing it change a lot from tank to tank or changing your driving methods?

Overall are the numbers better, worse or about what you expected?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not getting anywhere near 30 MPG.

Hyundai's site lists the factory MPG as: 17/27 (city/highway)

From my bad math and numbers I'm getting roughly 23-25 on average.

·
Registered
29 Posts
30mpg ain't gonna happen.
I now have close to 3k miles on my Coupe, approx. 75% freeway driving at 70mph on cruise and I am about 24.5 mpg.
For a car with this level of performance and over 300hp, I have no complaints.
It is fun to drive. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now that I have had mine for a few weeks longer I have found to be getting in that 20-24 MPG range depending on how city and highway oriented I am with my driving. Overall the numbers haven't been blowing me away but I am happy with them

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got 3.8 to fight the man - drive like I love it (I do) and so far the best I've gotten is under 22mpg - but that's suburban driving pretty much - do not get this car if you care much about fuel economy - soon we'll all be forced to go electric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gas Mileage

I am getting around 22 to 24 around town. On one highway trip, the computer indicated 31, but it was actually 26.4 - still not bad for a fully loaded luxury sedan.

Does anyone know if the computer can be adjusted? I have found my other cars to be a little on the ambitious side, also. I guess they may do this on purpose to make you think you are getting better than you really are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 3.8, driven 800 miles and it is around the 20.3 avg mpg.
I love to "drive" the car, not abuse it but step on it.
Yesterday a car got in my way, me doing 55mph, I hit it and by the time I got around him 85'ish. And a short distance it was. I told my with, "this puppy will fly". She said, "but you always let off of it". lol
Neat car, the Genesis.
Earl

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 3.8, driven 800 miles and it is around the 20.3 avg mpg.
I love to "drive" the car, not abuse it but step on it.
Yesterday a car got in my way, me doing 55mph, I hit it and by the time I got around him 85'ish. And a short distance it was. I told my with, "this puppy will fly". She said, "but you always let off of it". lol
Neat car, the Genesis.
Earl
I agree, I have stepped on it and before I knew it - I was gone. Had a co-worker who was in the wake of my jet steam ask me - "what kind of car is that?" His reply was "that RSpec must be a beast!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fuel "mileage" for thought

Thoughts on fuel mileage:
I am glad to see that on the 2015 Genesis there is an option to manually reset the mileage computer. This option may have been available on models before 2015 but the 2011 Equus that I had previously would only keep track of mileage from refill to refill, (auto reset). The auto reset mode may have some advantage, but what it may be eludes me. As far as I'm concerned the only mileage calculation that has any value is the MPG that accumulates day in and day out, year in and year out. That way you take in to account all the types of roads, speeds, seasonal temperature changes and other natural variables that occur in the course of driving the vehicle. From a practical standpoint any cars MPG is pretty much fixed by that particular cars set of specifications, weight, engine size, etc. For a given car the MPG will remain pretty much constant once it is broken in unless there is some kind of mechanical malfunction. Any malfunctions that do occur are usually easily detected by the average driver especially with all the computerized feedback that is provided in our modern cars. Barring any mechanical malfunctions the MPG difference in identical cars is always do to how and where the car is driven.
I added the comments above from a previous post to this reply since they refer directly to MPG.

As far as I am concerned about what I get on my 2015 3.8L Genesis I'll go along with the "being a happy guy with 25 MPG overall" and the "these are not the car's for you if you are concerned with fuel mileage".

As far as car companies designing there MPG computers to favor showing better than actual results I would have to think that there are so many reviewers, pundits, and other auto enthusiasts that would just love to find a company guilty of this behavior that they certainly wouldn't do it intentionally. Let me know if I am being too naïve.

I think we should be thankful that these cars are designed to work and run satisfactorily on regular fuel.

GM built the Cobalt primarily for fuel economy, we can see where that got us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts