Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guys over at motortrend have this thing they call long term update. Basically it's a test drive/review of the car. However unlike all the other review you will normally read, this review doesn't consist of just a few days of driving the car. Its basically a real world test of the car as a whole. Here's their 6th long term update on the car.

"The Genesis might have been designed and engineered in Korea," says editor-in-chief Angus MacKenzie, "but the 4.6-liter Tau V-8 feels eerily German in its power delivery. It's smooth and linear until about 3000 rpm, then you get a noticeable surge as the engine gets a second wind; old Benz V-8s used to feel just like this. At 3000 rpm in top gear, the Genesis is cruising at 110 mph -- and could do it all day long.

"Overall, the Genesis is a comfortable and composed cruiser, its laid-back demeanor marred only by the slight busyness of the stiffly sprung rearend. It's a minor niggle in a car that is otherwise astonishingly accomplished. Also, the standard Hyundai stoppers are marginal when hustling the Genesis hard. A set of Brembos would be nice, please."

2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6
Months/miles in service
14/22,280
Avg econ/CO2
19.6 mpg/0.99 lb/mi
Unresolved problems None
Maintenance cost $299.85 (2 - oil change/inspection/rotate tires, replace cabin air filter)
Normal-wear cost $0

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would agree with Motortrend. I have only had my 2010 for about three months and have 8000 miles. Really like the car - a blast to drive. Could have more torque at takeoff but if you kick it at 40+ mph it flies! I've run it up to 120 mph and it had lots and lots left. I really think it would probably do 150 plus top speed (or does it have a speed limiter?). But I have no interest in doing anything that fast on these really crappy OEM tires.

I have had only one issue - the well-known steering wheel tilt problem. Fixed for now. I have spent $0 on the car. Two oil changes and a tire rotation so far and my dealer threw in a year's worth of oil changes at purchase.

Fuel mileage is better than expected, especially on the highway. I get 17 pure city and 27 to 28 pure highway at 72mph average with a calm wind. About 21.5 combined. The computer mpg has been closely matching hand calculated. Best I have done is a 350 mile trip down the interstate and showed 29.5. I run 87 octane. My friend has a V6 and is getting north of 32mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far, so good. I have the 2011 Genesis 4.6 sedan. Only 14835 miles on it. One oil change, tire rotation, plus the brake fluid recall which had no cost.

Next I was offered a free upgrade on my navigation system (October 2013). When I took my car in for the navigation update, I was told that there was a recall on the engine ecm for a free update. Total charge for upgrade and the update, zero.

Only real concern right now, is that so far everytime I've taken my car to the dealer, its always a 4 hour or more job.

Oil change, tire rotation and brake fluid exchange; 4 hours.

Upgrade to the navigation system; 4 hours.

Update the cars ECM, 4 hours.

Next I am told because the Hyundai has a European suspension set up. I will need/ have to have my 4 wheel alignment done at my next visit, even though there is no sign of usual wear. Road over there must really be different, uh? Modern techonolgy, I guess

But so far, no major complaints, other than I wish I had known about the 5.0 sedan when I purchase my 4.6. Yep, I would have went for the 2012 Hyundai 5.0 R-Spec.

Love my Hyundai

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks

This has been posted a head of time from now an everyone knows that genesis is such one of a kind machine together with its sister models Elantra and sonata. I haven't heard recalls from dealerships out there and guess there is no discrepancy happening on their production unlike other brands like Toyota when they struggled on their Prius several years ago.

Great job and thank you for your information...
The only recall I have had to date was a brake fluid exchange. When I got a notification to have my Navigation system upgraded (for free) I was told that there was a recall to have the ECM updated for improve emissions.

All my notification for recalls, came when I had scheduled and taken my car in for some type of scheduled maintenance work. Then I was told of the recalls :confused:.

All recall work, as usual, were free, no charge. Free is always good :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts