Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you guys that had to choose between the two different engine options what were your deciding facts. Besides price and all because thats obvious. Is the extra power worth the money or did you do it for other reasons also?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the 4.6 and really love the power and smooth shifting. Mostly it was what was available in a color I likes (White/Black). I believe the 4.6 has some more amenities that are options or not available on the 3.8. It is an extremely quiet car, although the ride is a little rough compared to my previous M35. In addition to the up front extra cost of the 4.6, of course it'll cost more at the pump. But when you step on the gas getting on the highway and see items get smaller in your mirror...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are both the 3.8 and 4.6 liter running on premium gas or is it only the bigger engine that needs the more expensive gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are both the 3.8 and 4.6 liter running on premium gas or is it only the bigger engine that needs the more expensive gas.
Neither engine requires premium gas. So far I have used regular in my 4.6 and it doesn't seem to suffer at all. The articles say premium will buy you a few more horses, but I don't see any need for it. I have observed no pinging or dieseling that V8s of years-ago exhibited on regular. I don't plan on changing. I have read very good things about the 3.8 engine and it is a bit less powerful, but doesn't seem to lose much in horse, zero to 60 or quarter mile, when compared to the 4.6.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know about the premium, save some money at the pump due to the high prices these days

·
Registered
37 Posts
Test drive, test drive, test drive - only you can really tell if you need the extra performance and power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good to know about the premium, save some money at the pump due to the high prices these days
If your buying a $40K car and are concearned about gas prices or mileage, your buying the wrong car. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
If your buying a $40K car and are concearned about gas prices or mileage, your buying the wrong car. :)
I don't agree....if I could get very similar cars for $40,000 but one has better gas mileage or only one takes premium gas, why would it not be a concern?

But then again if you mean being a penny pusher and making them major factors in your decision because it takes premium gas. I understand your point just ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think he just meant if you are spending $40000+ on a car you should be able to afford the gas you put in it and not think about it, otherwise you may be in the wrong price league :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
If money is of little concern, the 4.6 is a fine option just for the sheer power and torque. A very classy sedan that has a beast of an engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Engine Choice

The 3.8 now has 333 HP, more than most people will ever use. And even tho I can afford the price of gas, I don't want to give the oil companies any more money than I have to, so I chose the 3.8.

If Hyundai and Cadilac can produce 300+ HP engines that run on regular, why can't Mercedes, BMW, Audi and others?

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the year or so that I admired and lusted after the Genesis I was only wanting the V-8.
After considering that the V-6 has 333 hp and my Cadillac SRX Northstar V-8 has 320 I thought, wow, why not give the 6 a try.
I did, I like the way it performs and I bought it.
Is it as quick as the Cadillac? perhaps, although I'll never race them.
The V-6 is really smooth at 60 and passing and it gets you around very quickly.
Yesterday I had the windows tinted and that makes it even faster. lol
Earl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts