post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Changing the oil on a Genesis

Here is a pic of the oil pan and drain plug for any of you who want to change your oil yourself on your Genesis.

So has anyone changed their own oil yet? I plan on doing all changes myself.

Nadeem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genesisoilpan.jpg
Views:	2893
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	10  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope still taking mine to the dealer. Looks to be pretty accessible which is nice, thank you for the pic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No problem. It uses a canister filter like BMWs and other european luxury cars. Hyundai has really stepped up their game on all levels.

Nadeem

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know how much oil the car takes?

I am considering trying to change my own oil
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
6-6.5 liters of oil from my experience. Not bad to change and I like the european style canister filters much better than having to use the american style ones.

Nadeem
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM

Its always better to do oil changes yourself. You save money plus you're sure of what is done to your car. I've seen a few shops screw up something as simple as an oil change so I'm a bit scared of getting any work done.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvs1 View Post
Its always better to do oil changes yourself. You save money plus you're sure of what is done to your car. I've seen a few shops screw up something as simple as an oil change so I'm a bit scared of getting any work done.
I have had bad experiences myself. That is why I am on the forums now, to see what others are doing and hopefully to post up some of my own DIY write ups.

Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 02:54 AM

Synthetic or regular oil:

I have been thinking about this since these oils have become available. You can get blurry eyed reading all the information, recommendations and pros and cons available on the net. My conclusions are that unless you are driving your car under what are considered harsh or unusual conditions you can't go wrong following the particular manufacturers recommendations for API class and viscosity. In Hyundai's case they don't call for synthetic oil, but they don't say you can't use it.

Now that I am driving Hyundai's I will try and use regular oil either 5W-20 or 10W-30. From a realistic point of view it is going to depend on where I have the oil changed. I have a trusted independent garage nearby that can provide either type of oil, if I have it changed at a dealership it is probably their call. In my case I am driving so few miles these days that I now just change the oil Winter and Summer without any consideration of mileage.

I think I have been consistent with this approach. When I had the Mercedes Benz I honored their synthetic oil recommendation. After all they "invented the automobile".

There are some interesting posts about oil and changes. I am envious of the folks who change their own oil. I do agree that if possible that is the best way to get the job done. I never did anything but change my own for over fifty years. Unfortunately there comes a time when it is not only hard to get up off the floor, I even have trouble getting down gracefully. There is one other consideration that has bothered me in the last few years and that is finding a responsible and easy way to dispose of the used oil. I don't think throwing it in the trash is a good idea and I don't like the idea of transporting the dirty stuff in a nice new car to a disposal facility even if you can find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page